Tuesday, February 5, 2008

review: Memphis May Fire--s/t


“Touch me… I tremble. Hold me… I sigh. Kiss me… I melt. Ask me… Why?” Good question. Why would anyone listen to this crap? Memphis May Fire’s self-titled EP isn’t quite that cornball all the way through, but singer Chase Robbins’ lyrics and delivery quickly kill any momentum his band builds with its Southern influenced metalcore. The singer relies on the overused sing/scream dichotomy, and his generic shrieks feel positively forced next to his sickeningly sweet emo warbling. The rest of the band serves up their metalcore admirably enough, with a few strong rock riffs and a bit of twang, but by failing to add anything novel, they come off sounding like a poor man’s Every Time I Die, lacking that band’s charm and humor. It’s difficult to imagine Memphis May Fire’s appeal extending beyond adolescent scene girls, and guys who share the band’s fashion penchant for foppish bangs.


Memphis May Fire
s/t
Trustkill

No comments: